Are you relocating to Italy anytime soon? If so, you probably already know moving to Italy from the USA is a big task and, as such, it’s going to require a lot of support. All international moves involve thorough research, preparation and the finding of qualified overseas shippers to ensure your goods arrive safely in your new destination. Before you do anything, talk to the professionals at International Sea & Air Shipping. Our company is here to assist you with all the logistics of your Italian relocation, so you can focus on other important matters for your move across the globe. Thanks to years of experience shipping to Italy from the USA and helping clients with relocation to Italy, we’re your resource for creating a smooth transition.
How International Sea & Air Shipping can help for moving to Italy
When you’re relocating to Italy, let our professionals partner with you to make the move successful. At International Sea & Air Shipping, our moving specialists will assist you with every aspect of planning your move. From household shipping to Italy from the USA, to helping you handle Customs, we’re here for you. Find out more about all of our available shipping services and options to decide what best suits your needs based on certain criteria:
- Your moving timeline. When do you need to be in Italy? Should you ship your goods via air or sea freight?
- Your real estate plans. Will you be renting or buying?
- Your fragile items. Do you require custom crating services?
- Your family/household size. Are you moving alone or with family? For business or personal reasons?
- Cubic feet estimate. How large is your shipment to Italy?s
How Much Does a Move to Italy Cost?
Schedule a home survey to receive an accurate estimate to ship your goods overseas to Italy. One of our moving specialists will visit your home to assess your belongings and provide you with a free quote for your desired services. The cost will vary based on the cubic footage of your shipment, the method of shipping (air versus sea freight) the services you require (packing and custom crating), and many other factors.
Best known for its hand in shaping Western culture as we know it, the southern European country of Italy is famous for its iconic artwork of mythological and biblical heroes, its beautiful coast, breathtaking landscapes, and overall diverse regional cultures and dialects. To this day, Italy is the most-visited European country, and is the fifth most populous country in Europe.
The country is situated on the Mediterranean Sea surrounded by Austria, France, Slovenia and Switzerland. Italy also surrounds two independent mini-states: San Marino and Vatican City. Its origins can be traced back at least 200,000 years — before its Neolithic civilizations were wiped out or assimilated.
Italy also leaves its mark when it comes to idiosyncratic cuisine (which varies by region). It is influenced by Etruscan, Jewish, ancient Greek and ancient Roman cuisines and is known to be one of the most popular culinary influences around the world.
Italy is the seventh-largest nominal GDP, 10th-highest purchasing power parity, and has the sixth-highest government budget in the world. Italy’s exporters and importers are: U.S., Spain, UK, Switzerland, Germany, France, China, Netherlands, Russia and Belgium.
You were so helpful with everything.
“I’ve moved many times, and always get apprehensive, because there has not been even one moving company I would use again. Lots of nightmare stories, including one that charged me almost twice their estimate, and held my stuff for ransom until I paid. This was even more stressful, shipping an entire container from the US to Italy, but International Sea & Shipping were great, from start to finish. They told me exactly what all the charges would be,even on the Italian side with customs clearance, how long the process would take, and they were all true to their word. The guys that picked up my stuff in FL were the best ever – extremely polite, careful and kind. Even on the Italian side, they did a great job. Not one thing was damaged after all that. Boaz, I thank you for being an honest, decent man, and Jeanine, you were so helpful with everything. I could not recommend these guys more. I feel like I got REALLY lucky.”
Custom Regulations for Italy:
- Passport (copy)
- Residence Visa
- Work Permit
- Inventory in Italian, signed by Customer and approved by Italian Consulate
- Fiscal Number (Codice Fiscale, equivalent to an American social security number)
- Consular Declaration released by the nearest Italian Consulate, certifying the length of stay abroad, the repatriation date, the Italian nationality of the Customer, and the names of the family members (for Italian citizens only)
- Residency Certificate stating number of members in the family, nationality, city and country from which the customer is transferring residence, and date of residence in Italy (for foreigners only)
- Dichiarazione Sostitutiva di certificazione – provided by Destination Agent, completed and signed by client
- “Permesso a Soggiorno” (permit to stay) by Police Office Foreign Department
- Autocertificazione” – client attestation: of transfer of residence, family status, value of goods
- Bill of Lading/Air Waybill
- Power of Attorney – giving authority for Destination Agent to arrange customs clearance
- Letter from Employer –attesting to client’s employment contract, start date
If the customer is moving to Italy permanently, and has lived outside the European Union for the previous 12 months, both personal effects and household goods may be imported free of duty and tax if:
- Goods were owned for one year, (18 months if Italian citizen)
- Goods are not for resale
- Goods are imported within six months of customer’s arrival
If all documentation is in order and received prior to arrival of shipment, the customer may not have to be present at the time of clearance.
- Pornographic material
- Narcotics and drugs
- Animal skins, fur, tusks, ivory
- Food products including coffee, tea, sugar and pepper
- Cordless electronics & walkie- talkies
- Audiovisual electronics not marked CE
- Firearms, ammunition and combat knives (including ornamental weapons) can be imported with a special permit obtained from the Police Office–they must be clearly declared on the inventory with make, type and serial number, and must not be included in the same container as the household goods
- Weapons must be recorded in the National Catalogue of Weapons – weapons without a serial number (applies to USA, Canada, Japan & Australia) must be sent to the National Test Stand at Gardone Val Trompia, where Customs Authority will assign one
- Import License – obtained at origin
- Client must be present during clearance
- Clearance of firearms with serial numbers takes 15-20 days
- Clearance takes 2-3 months for firearms needing assignment of serial numbers
- New furniture, new household good items, wedding trousseaux, souvenirs and precious metal objects need receipts and are subject to duty
- Appliances/electronic equipment require an Import Permit from the Italian Ministry of Posts and Communications, may require receipts
- Antiques, pictures, works of art, carpets etc. require authorization– a Fine Arts inspection and special Import Permit from the Fine Arts authorities at extra cost, payable by the customer, must be packed separately (in crates or cartons), loaded near container door
- Plants and vegetable products require a Phytosanitary Certificate
- Alcohol and tobacco–must be shipped separately
For customers planning to ship a vehicle (one auto for non-Italians) it will be admitted into Italy duty-free if the customer has lived abroad for over one year, has owned and used the vehicle at least six months, and is bringing it to Italy for personal use. The car cannot be sold for at least one year after the customer’s arrival.
- Passport or Telespresso (diplomats) – copy
- Italian Fiscal Code (returning Italians) – copy
- Certificate of Title and Registration – original, in client’s name; and a notarized Italian translation
- Commercial/Purchase Invoice – must be original
- Drivers License & International Insurance Policy (green card)
- Technical Data Sheet – from manufacturer, stating car features and declaration of conformities with EU requirements
- Insurance Policy – valid for circulation in Italy
- Certificate of Vaccination – (International version) rabies vaccine date must be at least 20 days before certificate is issued by the veterinarian at origin
- Health Certificate – by a veterinarian at origin, must state pet was vaccinated against rabies, issued prior to departure to Italy; validity is for 3 days only
- Certificate of Origin – obtained from veterinarian at origin
- Every pet must be identified by a microchip or a tattoo– in case of identification with a tattoo, the tattoo must be clearly readable and applied before July 2011
CUSTOMER MUST CONTACT THE ITALIAN EMBASSY OR CONSULATE FOR ALL FURTHER DETAILS, AS ITALIAN IMPORT REGULATIONS ARE COMPLICATED AND VARY ACCORDING TO CUSTOMER’S IMMIGRATION STATUS.
NOTE – Customs regulations are subject to change at any time. The proceeding information is a brief summary of customs regulations applicable to household goods shipments to this destination and is being provided for general guidance to assist our Agents and customers. Since such regulations are subject to change without notice, International Sea & Air Shipping cannot be held liable for any costs, damage, delays, or other detrimental events resulting from non-compliance. Always double check with your local embassy or consulate.
Call our International Moving Specialists @ 1-866-788-1090