Moving To > Sweden
Moving to Sweden from the U.S.
If you are moving to Sweden from the United States, there will be plenty to consider and prepare for before you head across the globe to Viking Country. With so many things to plan for, the last thing you want to worry about is the logistics of a complicated international move - so you'll want to hire a trustworthy and qualified overseas shipping company to make your move worry-free!
International Sea & Air Shipping will make your transition to Sweden as seamless as possible by providing top-notch shipping services for all of your household goods, and much more. Do you need help with preparing your documents? Do you need Customs assistance?
No problem! International Sea & Air will help you plan your move to Sweden from start to finish!
How to Move to Sweden
To start, one of our trained moving specialists will provide a one-on-one consultation with you, thoroughly outlining your moving options based on certain criteria, such as:
- Your moving timeline. When do you need to be in Sweden?
- Your real estate plans. Will you be renting or buying?
- Your family/household size. Will you be moving alone or with your family? For business or personal reasons?
- Cubic feet estimate. How large is your shipment?
How Much Does it Cost to Move to Sweden?
For an accurate estimate of your shipment size, you should schedule a home survey as early as possible for your move to Sweden. Our moving specialists will assess your belongings to give you the best estimate possible to expedite your relocation. The cost of moving to Sweden will vary considerably based on the cubic footage of your belongings and your proposed destination arrival time.
Don't forget to ask about our overseas packing and custom crating services, too!
While the Scandinavian country of Sweden is most noted for being inhabited by early Germanic tribes known as the Vikings, this Northern European country is also recognized for its awe-inspiring natural beauty with vivid pictorial views. Visitors and natives alike can view the outdoor splendor of places like the Swedish Lapland (home of the last European wilderness), the island of Gotland, the Stockholm Archipelago, or Abisko National Park (a prime location for viewing the northern lights). They can even explore the heavily forested country at their leisure thanks to the Right of Public Access (Allemansrätten).
With almost 10 million people inhabiting the country, Sweden is home to varying ethnicities including Swedes, Sweden Finns, the indigenous Sami people (known for their reindeer husbandry), and newer immigrants from the Middle East, specifically from Iraq, Iran, Turkey, Lebanon and Syria.
Sweden lies north of the Arctic Circle, west of the Baltic Sea and borders Finland and Norway. It is also connected to Denmark via a bridge-tunnel across the Oresund. It boasts the highest rate of innovation, particularly in sustainable energy, and the fastest economic growth among all other countries in the European Union.
Sweden has a Nordic social welfare system that provides universal healthcare, and continually ranks high in national performance ratings including health, quality of life, equality and civil liberties, education and economic competitiveness. The country's major trading partners include: Norway, Germany, Denmark, UK, Finland, US, France, Netherlands and China.
We truly recommend International Sea and Air Shipping
"We worked with Ms. Hillary Cammer on a complex move from Fjallbacka ,Sweden to Bonita Springs, FL via Seattle since early 2014.
International Sea and Air Shipping provided superb service and had the expertise to guide us through the many steps involved in International shipping and Customs.
We changed the destination from Seattle, WA after the shipment left Gothenburg, Sweden. Ms. Cammer and her Staff were up to the task to arrange for transfers and get the shipment delivered to the Bonita Springs, FL destination. The West Coast labor issues added more complexity to these transfers. The dispatcher Avi proved skilled in solving many issues to get problems resolved.
We had no damageed items and the packing, loading of the 20 FT container was handled with expertise.
The unpacking in Bonita Springs was also performed in an efficient fashion.
We truly recommend International Sea and Air Shipping of New York for international moves.
- Dr. Ulf G. Goranson
Customs Regulations for Sweden:
DOCUMENTS REQUIRED TO MOVE TO SWEDEN
- Valid Passport
- Detailed inventory (duplicate in English, French, German or Swedish - three copies detailing contents of each carton)
- Swedish Customs Form (Foersaekran Foer Flyttsaksullfrihet) to be signed by the owner and witnessed in Sweden
Upon moving to Sweden, the customer will be faced with various regulations to abide by to successfully clear Customs with a household goods shipment:
- Customer must be present in Sweden at the time of shipment arrival for the shipment to clear Customs
- “PBO” (packed by owner) or “miscellaneous” will not be accepted on inventory - the customer could be charged extra for a Customs officer having to examine the shipment
- Household goods are duty free if the goods have been in the customer's possession and used abroad for at least one year
- If goods arrive in Sweden before the customer, the goods can be bonded at the Destination Agent's warehouse or a Swedish Freeport, and the customer will be responsible for any additional costs
In Sweden, some articles may not be allowed for importation. These items include, but may not be limited to:
- Narcotics and other drugs
- Wireless telephones
- Skins or ivory from animals on the Endangered Species List
- Live plants
Some articles may have restricted quantities or require special authorization/ payments of duties and taxes to clear Swedish Customs.
These items include, but are not limited to:
- Firearms, weapons, ammunition, fireworks and explosives (an Import License is required - issued by Swedish Police)
- New items (less than one year old, duties apply)
- Alcohol and tobacco products
- Shipment will be delayed if alcohol or tobacco is packed with household goods, and the customer will incur extra charges
- Taxes are applicable for alcohol and a separate inventory is required
- Customer must be 20 to import alcohol, and 18 to import tobacco
- Wedding gifts
- Inherited items
MOTOR VEHICLE REGULATIONS
Customers moving to Sweden may import one vehicle (or motorcycle) per person. The vehicle may be admitted duty free into the country if:
- Customer has owned the vehicle and used it abroad for more than a year, and does not sell the vehicle for at least one year after arriving in Sweden
- The owner must be present at customs when the vehicle arrives
- All vehicles (used or new) must be left hand drive
- All vehicles (used or new) are subject to customs duty, VAT and Ad Valorem Tax
The customer will need the following documents:
- Certificate of Registration
- Purchase invoice (identifying price, date and place of purchase)
- Customs form (separate from household goods)
- Insurance documents (country of origin)
- Interims insurance (issued by Swedish insurance company)
PETS AND ANIMAL REGULATIONS
When importing a pet to Sweden, the requirements are as follows:
- Permission from the Department of Agriculture
- Health examination done by a licensed veterinarian
- Import Permit (issued by the National Board of Agriculture)
- Passport for dogs, cats and ferrets
Cats and dogs will require four months quarantine.
NOTE - Customs regulations are subject to change at any time. The proceeding information is a brief summary of customs regulations applicable to household goods shipments to this destination and is being provided for general guidance to assist our Agents and customers. Since such regulations are subject to change without notice, International Sea & Air Shipping cannot be held liable for any costs, damage, delays, or other detrimental events resulting from non-compliance. Always double check with your local embassy or consulate.
Call our International Moving Specialists @ 1-866-788-1090