If you are planning to make an international move, there will be numerous things that you must keep in mind. You must learn to pack your belongings properly so that they arrive in the new country at the right time without damaging the items.
To make an overseas move less complicated, here are a few important points you need to know:
Consider the customs regulations
To execute an international move successfully, you need to conduct some additional research and do a lot of preparation ahead of time.
Pack the items properly, list them on the inventory, and make sure they will be allowed to be shipped to the new country. Hire an international shipper and ensure that your belongings will reach your new destination safely
- Learn the customs regulations of the new country as every country will have a different set of rules regarding the items that will be permitted to be shipped there. The shipment must meet the customs requirements to arrive successfully in the new country.
- Find out about the specific protocols for shipping household goods, items that can be moved only with proper documentation and permits. Also, you need to find items that won’t be allowed to enter the country.
- Hire an international shipping company and a customs brokering service to help you with difficult customs procedures. This will make sure the shipment reaches the new country without any hassles.
Declutter your possessions
Moving your entire life’s possessions to another country will be a costly process as compared to when you need to ship them to another state. To save money and make the process easier, here’s what you need to do:
- Declutter your possessions before relocating them to the new country.
- Category your belongings into categories like sell, donate, and ship.
- Move items that you will need in the new house, and sell and donate the other items as required.
- Keep in mind that some items will be costly to ship because of the high customs duties you need to pay and other prohibitions.
Create an inventory
To clear the shipment through customs, you will need to create a comprehensive inventory of all the possessions in the container.
- Create an accurate inventory and ensure that no prohibited items are packed inside the container.
- Opt for the packing services with the international movers and they will get the task done for you without any hassles.
- Get invoices or receipts for items that are less than six months old. If you will move electronic items, ensure to furnish the following information:
- Serial number
Gather good-quality packing supplies
- Buy strong moving boxes to pack fragile items.
- Use packing paper or bubble wrap to wrap the fragile items.
- Buy corrugated boxes as they can be closed completely and keep your belongings secure.
- Buy good quality packing tape, markers, and labels to easily recognize the contents in each of the moving boxes.
- Use blank newspapers, bubble wrap, or plastic wrap to fill the empty spaces in the moving boxes.
Tips to pack kitchenware
- Pack any ceramic kitchenware and fragile bone china items in bubble wrap.
- Use extra packaging for wrapping sharp cutlery and glass containers.
- Place packing paper in between any bowls, plates, or cups you will need to be packed as this will prevent these items from breaking and chipping.
- Double-wrap your crystal pieces, vases, or wine glasses in packing paper and bubble wrap.
- Pack the utensils and cutlery together in compact bundles and bubble wrap them before putting them inside the moving boxes.
Tips to pack electronics
- Unplug all the electronic devices before you pack them.
- Unplug the refrigerator at least 24 hours before loading them as any excess water or ice will be drained from the appliance.
- Tape the table inside a microwave oven, otherwise, it may move during transit and damage the glass door.
- Read the manual of any electronic appliances to check if any special instructions are provided or not.
- Use glass screens to double-pack electronics and make sure they don’t break.
Tips to pack small furniture
- Fully cover the edges of the furniture pieces as this will prevent them from chipping.
- Use a bedsheet to protect the furniture surfaces and prevent them from scratches.
- Double stack the furniture in the moving truck or a container as this will protect the surfaces from any kind of damage.
Tips to pack other miscellaneous items
- Use corrugated moving boxes to pack the books. It’s recommended not to overpack large boxes with your books, instead pack the heavy books in multiple small boxes.
- Pack clothes and shoes in international-sized moving bags.
- Ask for wardrobe boxes with hangers from your international movers to pack the clothes.
- Pack the photo frames by inserting packing paper between the frames.
- Talk with your service provider and seek recommendations for packing pianos, fine art, and musical instruments. Overall, each will have a different packing requirement.
Choose between sea freight and air freight
Here are a few things you will need to know, before choosing a shipping method:
- Air shipment will reach your new destination in a few weeks, while a sea shipment will reach in several months.
- You can either use air freight or sea freight to ship the belongings or even use a combination of both these methods. For example, you can use an air freight service to ship personal items like cookware, bedding, and clothing while furniture can be shipped using sea freight.
Pack your valuables separately
You must take some of your valuable possessions on the plane.
List of items in your carry-on:
- Important papers like marriage certificates, birth certificates, school records, medical records, and insurance policies.
- Heirlooms, jewelry, and other valuable items.
- Phone, laptop, camera, chargers, and mp3 players.
- Cash, credit cards, wallet, and checkbook.
- Passport, visa, and other vital papers.
List of items in your luggage
- Suitable clothing according to the weather and shoes you will need after reaching the new house. It will take time for the shipment to reach your new destination, so it’s better to plan things in advance.
- Toys and other essentials for your kids.
- School essentials, backpacks, and books.
- Air bed
Buy a moving insurance
Making an international move will require you to travel through many inspections and ports. Chances of your items getting lost or damaged in transit will be there, which makes it imperative to buy insurance coverage for your items.
If any precious possessions get damaged in transit due to an unfortunate situation, you will be compensated for the same by the insurance company. An international moving company you hire will be able to offer you an insurance policy or you will have to purchase it separately.
Tips: In the case of high-value items like antiques or artwork, it’s recommended to get them appraised beforehand and determine their real value.
Don’t hire an international moving company in a hurry. Instead, you should shortlist a few international movers, request moving quotes from them, and choose the one which is suitable for your budget and requirements.
Overall, hiring professionals will reduce your stress as all the packing, wrapping, and crating work will be done by the movers themselves. Also, the chances of your belongings getting damaged or lost will be less in the hands of a professional team.