Everything You Need to Know About Moving To USA

International Movers

International Shipping for Your Move to the USA

Planning a move to the USA? International Sea & Air Shipping is a professional international moving company that will aid you with all your overseas shipping needs. Our affordable international moving rates for safe shipping of your household goods to the USA will make your move easy and stress-free!
We provide various international moving services for your overseas move – such as full container service and lift van services with complete documentation, customs assistance, insurance, shipping, storage and inland transportation. We can even provide international vehicle shipping to get your car safely to the USA!

International Sea & Air Shipping is committed to providing you with a cost-effective package that enables you to have an efficient move. With over 600 Agents and Affiliates Worldwide, we are able to coordinate your move and pave the way for a smooth custom clearance and expeditious service.  Get a quote today.

What You Need to Know About Moving to the USA

Moving to the USA is exciting – but it also requires proper planning and preparation to ensure a worry-free move. International Sea & Air Shipping will guide you with your international move by providing assistance with documents, customs regulations, overseas shipping, and other international moving services for your move to the USA, but it always helps to conduct some research of your own.

Before moving to the USA, you should know:

  • Since September 11th, the U.S. customs department has tightened security and increased inspection of all international shipments entering the country.
  • Import documentation is checked thoroughly. Incomplete or incorrect documents will be rejected and shipments placed “on hold” incurring demurrage charges.
  • Most shipments entering the United States are subject to X-ray procedure.
  • An increasing number of containers are randomly selected for “physical” inspection. This can cause delays in customs clearance, resulting in demurrage and/or per diem charges.
  • Customs clearance can take between 4 – 8 days from date of arrival.
  • We suggest that all import documentation, including Form 3299, supplemental declaration, power of attorney, CLEAR passport photo, and copy of visa, is forwarded to our office at least seven (7) days prior to arrival of your shipment.


For custom regulations please click on the following link: Custom Regulations

Necessary documents:

When moving to the USA you will need the proper documents to successfully enter the country and clear your shipment through customs. The international moving specialists at International Sea & Shipping can guide you through this process to ensure everything goes smoothly.

Some required documents will include:

U.S. CUSTOMS FORM 3299: required to clear your unaccompanied personal affects and household goods through U.S. Customs. Without the completed form, International Sea & Air Shipping will not be able to arrange customs clearance.

  • PART I
    You (the shipper) must complete the following sections of Part I of form 3299:
    1. Importer’s (your) name
    2. Date of birth
    3. Date of arrival (the date you arrived in the United States)
    4. U.S. address
    5. Port of arrival (the port at which the importer first arrived in the United States)
    6. Name of arriving airline and flight
    7. Name(s) of accompanying household member(s)
      You are not required to complete Section 8, Part I of the form.
    1. Residency: used to indicate your previous and present residency status.
    2. Statement(s) of eligibility for free entry of articles: you must declare the items for which you seek duty-free entry.
    If your shipments are not moving under a Government Bill of Lading (military), you are not required to complete Part III of form 3299.
    Mark all applicable boxes and declare any of the following items contained in your shipment:
    1. Articles for the account of other persons (gifts)
    2. Articles for sale or commercial use
    3. Firearms and/or ammunition
    4. Alcoholic beverages of all types or tobacco products
    5. Fruits, plants, seeds, meats, or birds
    6. Fish, wildlife, or animal products
    7. Foreign household effects acquired abroad and used less than one year
    8. Foreign-made articles acquired in the United States and taken abroad on this trip or acquired abroad on another trip that was previously declared to U.S. Customs
    9. Articles taken abroad which were altered or
      repaired overseas
      Part IV, Section D, requires that you list any of the items declared in Part IV, items 1-7, and then provide customs with a description and a value for the merchandise.
  • PART V
    You are not required to complete Part V.
    You must sign form 3299 in Part VI, Section 2, and date the form in Part IV, Section 3. The completed, signed form should be mailed to International Sea & Air Shipping.

Other Required Documents:

  • Supplemental Customs Form:
    1. Be sure to complete items 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 7, 8, and 9
    2. If you are a residential alien, complete item 6
    3. If you are a corporate transferee, complete items 10, 11, 13, 14
    4. You are not required to complete items 15 and 16
    5. At item 17, check “Importer”
    6. Sign the form at line 18
  • Power of Attorney: if one is not completed, you will need to be present at customs for your shipment to clear.
    1. Mark the box “Individual” in the upper right corner.
    2. Print your name in the first blank on the form
    3. Skip to the bottom where it reads, “has caused these presents to be sealed and signed: (Signature)”
    4. Write your name and date the form on the next line to the right – any co-worker, friend, or family member can sign as a “Witness”
    5. The form does not have to be notarized
  • Copy of work visa
  • Copy of passport(Visa page, and clear and legible copy of photo page)
  • Work permit
  • Pet customs documents (health certificate, vaccination records)
  • Vehicle registration, driver’s license, and title for auto shipping

If you have questions, please contact us:
Tel: 1(866) 788-1090
(516) 355-5300
Fax: (516) 355-5314
Email: contact@internationalmoving.com

Downloadable Forms:  Custom Form 3299  |   Supplemental Declaration  |   Power of Attorney

Motto : In God We Trust (official) & Out of many, one (de-facto)

Capital : Washington, DC

National Anthem : “The Star-Spangled Banner”


Location : North America, bordering both the North Atlantic Ocean and the North Pacific Ocean, between Canada and Mexico.
Area : Total : 9,826,675 sq km

Land : 9,161,966 sq km
Water : 664,709 sq km
Note : Includes only the 50 states and District of Columbia
Climate : Mostly temperate, but tropical in Hawaii and Florida, arctic in Alaska, semiarid in the great plains west of the Mississippi River, and arid in the Great Basin of the southwest; low winter temperatures in the northwest are ameliorated occasionally in January and February by warm chinook winds from the eastern slopes of the Rocky Mountains


Nationality : American(s), American
Population : 313,232,044 (July 2011 est.)
Major Cities : 
New York – Newark 19.3 million; Los Angeles – Long Beach-Santa Ana 12.675 million; Chicago 9.134 million; Miami 5.699 million; WASHINGTON, D.C. (capital) 4.421 million (2009)
Languages : 
English 82.1%, Spanish 10.7%, other Indo-European 3.8%, Asian and Pacific island 2.7%, Other 0.7% (2000 census), Note: Hawaiian is an official language in the state of Hawaii


GDP : $14.72 trillion (2010 est.)
Exchange Rates : British pounds per US dollar : 1 (2010), 0.6504 (2010), 0.6494 (2009), 0.5302 (2008), 0.4993 (2007), 0.5418 (2006) Canadian dollars per US dollar : 1.0346 (2010), 1.1548 (2009), 1.0364 (2008), 1.0724 (2007), 1.1334 (2006) Chinese yuan per US dollar : 6.7852 (2010), 6.8249 (2009), 6.9385 (2008), 7.61 (2007), 7.97 (2006) euros per US dollar : 0.7715 (2010), 0.7338 (2009), 0.6827 (2008), 0.7345 (2007), 0.7964 (2006) Japanese yen per US dollar : 88.67 (2010), 94.5 (2009), 103.58 (2008), 117.99 (2007), 116.18 (2006)


Airports : 15,079 (2010)
Roadways : Total : 6,506,204 km
Waterways : 41,009 km
Ports & Terminals : Cargo ports (tonnage) : Baton Rouge, Corpus Christi, Houston, Long Beach, Los Angeles, New Orleans, New York, Plaquemines, Tampa, Texas City container ports (TEUs) : Los Angeles (7,849,985), Long Beach (6,350,125), New York/New Jersey (5,265,058), Savannah (2,616,126), Oakland (2,236,244), Hampton Roads (2,083,278) (2008) cruise departure ports (passengers) : Miami (2,032,000), Port Everglades (1,277,000), Port Canaveral (1,189,000), Seattle (430,000), Long Beach (415,000) (2009)