Moving to UK

International Moving Company

Your Peace Of Mind Is Our Priority

Customs Regulations for the United Kingdom

  • Valid passport
  • Visa (may be required)
  • Work permit (if necessary)
  • Customs Form (Import Declaration)
    • Two fully completed originals need to be provided to Customs agent
  • C-3 Form (household goods and personal effects for primary residence)
    • This form is required to clear household goods and only original forms with original ink signatures will be accepted
  • C-33 Form (household goods and personal effects for secondary residence)
  • Detailed Inventory of household goods and personal effects in English
    • Two copies, valued, dated and signed by Customer
  • C426 Form (for diplomatic entry)
  • All household goods and personal effects must arrive within 12 months after Customer or up to six months before Customer’s arrival in order to clear Customs
    • These items should come accompanied with a C-3 or C-33 Form
    • Detailed inventory of goods and household effects must also be included
  • Special regulations are given to the following and therefore specific information must be obtained by the Customer directly from the Embassy or Consulate
    • Students
    • Newlyweds and those who plan to marry shortly
    • Visitors
    • Goods coming from EU countries
    • Personal antiques or inheritances not meant for resale

In the United Kingdom, some articles may not be imported whatsoever. These items include, but may not be limited to:

  • Illegal drugs
  • Flick knives (AKA switchblades) and gravity knives
  • All handguns other than certain .22 caliber target pistols
  • Pornographic material
  • Horror comics
  • Drugs and other narcotics
  • Counterfeit currency
  • Meat, poultry, fish and other animal products (if traveling from a country not in the EU)
  • Trees, plants, shrubs, seeds, bulbs, soil, potatoes and other vegetables and fruits (if traveling from a country not in the EU)
  • Products created from remains of protected/endangered animal and plant species
    • Fur, skins, ivory, reptile leather, caviar, shells or products made from these items

Some articles may have restricted quantities or require special authorization/ payments of duties and taxes to clear customs in the UK. These items include, but are not limited to:

  • Firearms
  • Ammunition and explosives
  • New household goods and personal effects if they are less than six months old (invoice required)
  • Alcohol, tobacco and perfume products are dutiable and must be declared on your Customs Form (C-3 or C-33)
    • Do not ship these items along with your household goods
    • Importation of these items can result in a full inspection of your entire shipment
  • Plants require a Phytosanitary Certificate
  • Certain radio transmitters
    • CB radios, walkie-talkie, cordless telephones, etc.

Customers moving to the United Kingdom for the first time may import vehicles (including trailers, boats and aircrafts) into the country if:

  • The owner is moving their primary residence to the UK
  • Customer living outside the European Union (EU) has been abroad for at least 12 months
  • Vehicle has been owned and used abroad by Customer for at least six months
  • It was not purchased duty-free or tax-free
  • The vehicle is for personal use only and will not be sold within a year of being imported
  • A Declaration to Her Majesty’s Customs and Excise must specify:
    • Manufacture date, make, model name, serial number, chassis number and engine number
    • Cubic engine capacity and number of cylinders
    • Whether it is petrol or diesel and left or right-hand drive
    • Description of the body, the price and the odometer reading
    • Any extra or special features
      • Such as automatic transmission
    • Any defects in the vehicle that would affect its price
  • Customer’s presence at Customs Clearance may be required

Customers moving to the United Kingdom for the first time may import vehicles (including trailers, boats and aircrafts) into the country if:

  • Registration papers and title
  • Police certificate or registration
  • Insurance policy
  • Original purchase invoice
  • Logbook
  • Customs Form C104A (Importing vehicle in connection with moving main residence to the United Kingdom)
  • Customs Form C104F (Importing vehicle for a 6-12 month period)
  • Customs Form C384 (Importing vehicle when duty is applicable)
  • Community Transit Document T2 (can be found in the country your vehicle is being exported from

When importing a pet to the United Kingdom, the requirements are:

  • A microchip
  • Proof of rabies vaccination
  • Pet passport or third-country official veterinary certificate
  • Proof of tapeworm treatment (for dogs only)
  • Use of an authorized carrier by an approved route
  • A blood test taken at least 30 days after rabies vaccination
    • Only if you are traveling from an unlisted country
    • Must wait three months from the date of the blood sample before traveling
    • Vet must be given copy of test results
    • Blood test must show that the vaccination was successful
  • Customs Form C-5
  • Six months in quarantine in a government-approved facility for all dogs and cats
    • Due to limited space in the quarantine kennel, this time must be booked before you import your pet
  • Import license (not granted until other requirements have been met and six months in quarantine have been scheduled)
  • There are no restrictions on pet rodents, rabbits, birds, decorative fish, invertebrates, amphibians and reptiles when arriving from EU countries
    • Rabbits and rodents from countries outside the EU must spend four months in quarantine and have a rabies import license

Rules for household goods and person effects that are duty-free vary based on the following:

  • Customers moving their principal home or returning to the United Kingdom:
    • Goods have been in Customer’s person use for at least six months before being imported
    • Customer is able to prove that duty and tax have already been paid before arrival
    • Items are declared on the C-3 Form
  • Customers coming from outside the European Union:
    • Have lived at least at least 12 months abroad
    • Will not sell, loan out or dispose of household goods within 12 months of being imported (unless Customs authority allowed it)
  • Customer is setting up a secondary household in the UK
  • Customers are living in another European Union country:
    • Customer owns a secondary home in the UK or will be renting one for a minimum of 12 months
    • Items have been owned by customer three months before being imported and will not be sold for up to 12 months after
    • Customer can provide proof that duty and tax have already been paid on items
    • Items are declared on the C-3 Form
  • Customer is living outside the EU (items can be duty-free but not VAT free):
    • Customer has lived for at least twelve months outside of the EU
    • Customer owns a secondary home in the UK or is renting one for twenty-four months minimum
    • Goods have been owned and used for personal use for at least six months before importation
    • Items and effects will not be sold, lent out or disposed of within twelve months of being imported (unless Customs authority allowed it)
    • Customer can provide proof that duty and tax have already been paid on items
    • Items are declared on the C-33 Form
  • Importation of the majority of private vehicles are duty-free assuming:
    • The owner of the vehicle is moving their primary residence to the UK
    • Customer’s living outside of EU countries have been abroad for more than 12 months
    • The vehicle has been owned and used abroad by the Customer for a minimum of six months
    • Said vehicle was not purchased duty or tax-free
    • It is for personal use and will not be resold within a year of being imported

NOTE – Customs regulations are subject to change at any time. The proceeding information is a brief summary of customs regulations applicable to household goods shipments to this destination and is being provided for general guidance to assist our Agents and Customers. Since such regulations are subject to change without notice, International sea & air shipping cannot be held liable for any costs, damage, delays, or other detrimental events resulting from non-compliance. Always double check with your local embassy or consulate.

How International Sea & Air Shipping can help for moving to United Kingdom

At International Sea & Air Shipping, we offer range of services; we specialize in overseas moving; including shipping personal effects and household goods, export packing and crating, and shipping internationally, cars and boats. Whether you’re relocating from the USA for London, Manchester, Cambridge, Liverpool or any other major city or town in the UK, you can count on our dedicated teams of professionals to handle everything smoothly and professionally, from beginning to end.

At International Sea & Air Shipping, our moving specialists will assist you with every aspect of planning your move. Find out more about all our available moving services and options to decide what best suits your needs based on certain criteria:

  • Your moving timeline. When do you need to be in United Kingdom? Should you ship your goods via air or sea freight?
  • Your real estate plans. Will you be renting or buying?
  • Your fragile items. Do you require custom crating services?
  • Your family/household size. Will you be moving alone or with your family? For business or personal reasons?
  • Cubic feet estimate. How large is your shipment?

How Much Does It Cost to Move to United Kingdom?

Scheduling a home survey to receive an accurate estimate to ship your goods. One of our moving specialists will visit your home, assess your belongings and provide you with a free quote for your desired services. The cost will vary based on the cubic footage of your shipment, the method of shipping (air vs. sea freight) the services you require (packing and custom crating), and many other factors.

The process of shipping to United Kingdom takes 4-6 weeks depend on the size of your shipment. Our employees will pack your household goods and personal belongings in seaworthy packaging, after which they will be transported by sea, while small consignments will be sent by air. We will visit you at your home and will discuss with you what is required in order to move to the UK. We will draw up a detailed inventory and will explain to you the specific regulations for the customs clearance of your belongings, to ensure you are fully prepared for moving to United Kingdom. By ensuring thorough preparations and by engaging reliable movers of International Sea & Air Shipping International Movers, we will ensure that you will have no surprises when moving to United Kingdom.

About the United Kingdom

The United Kingdom — also known as the United Kingdom of Great Britain and Northern Ireland, the UK or simply Britain — is a sovereign state comprised of the island of Great Britain (England, Wales, Scotland) and Northern Ireland.

The island is bordered by the Pacific Ocean on the west and the Indian Ocean on the east, and surrounded by countries New Zealand, Fiji, Papua New Guinea, Singapore and Indonesia.

Australia is home to the world’s 13th largest economy and has the 9th highest per capita GDP—higher than United Kingdom, Canada, Germany, United States, France, and Japan. The country is responsible for several incredible inventions like the plastic disposable syringe and the bionic ear.

“International Sea and Air Shipping was helpful at every turn. They delivered boxes for things we wanted to pack; they were on time with the packing date; the personnel were courteous, careful and efficient, and when we asked for assistance and clarification with one or two things in the course of the move, they were unfailingly helpful. We had a couple of minor things damaged, but with a move of this size that could be expected. Certainly, it was not because things were not packed carefully. All in all, they met our expectations and I would recommend them to anyone undertaking a move abroad.”

– John Paas

International move from Minnesota to United Kingdom

International Moving to United Kingdom from the United States and Back

Are you planning a move to United Kingdom? International moves require thorough research, preparation, and qualified overseas shippers to ensure your goods arrive safely in your new country. Before you do anything, let International Sea & Air Shipping assist you with the logistics of relocating to the UK.

International Sea & Air Shipping is an international moving company offering door-to-door moving and relocation services worldwide. As a leader among international moving companies, we’re proud to provide full container service and lift van services both to and from the USA with complete documentation, custom assistance, insurance, shipping, storage and inland transportation. If you’re relocating your household in an overseas move, we’re here to help. International Sea & Air Shipping is an international removal company you can trust to simplify your move.