Moving To Scotland

We’ll Empower You to Enjoy a Smooth and Successful International Relocation.

Customs Regulations for Scotland

  • Valid passport
  • Visa
  • Work permit
  • Detailed inventory of household goods and personal effects (in English, two copies – valued, dated and signed by the Customer)
  • Customs Form/Import Declaration (two completed originals)
  • C-3 (household goods and personal effects for primary residence)
  • C-33 (household goods and personal effects for secondary residence)
  • C426 (for diplomatic entry only)
  • C104A/C104F/C384 (motor vehicles)
  • C-5 (pets)
  • Keys for any locked items
  • Your household goods and personal effects must arrive within one year of your arrival, or up to six months before your arrival in Scotland.

In Scotland, some articles may not be imported in a customer’s baggage whatsoever. These items include, but may not be limited to:

  • Handguns other than .22 caliber target pistols (all others are illegal in the United Kingdom)
  • Ammunition, switchblades and other weapons
  • Explosives and fireworks
  • Drugs and narcotics
  • Counterfeit currency
  • Pornographic material
  • Horror comics
  • Meat, poultry, fish and other animal products
  • Radio transmitters (CB radios, walkie-talkies, cordless phones, etc.) not approved for use in the United Kingdom
  • Trees, some plants, shrubs, seeds, bulbs, soil, potatoes and other vegetables and fruit
  • Most animals and all birds dead or alive and certain articles derived from endangered species (i.e. ivory, reptile leather, etc.)

Some articles may have restricted quantities or require special authorization/ payments of duties and taxes to clear customs in Scotland. These items include, but are not limited to:

  • Firearms (require valid certificate issued by police)
  • New items, less than six months old (require invoice)
  • Alcohol, tobacco and perfume products (dutiable and must be declared on the Customs Form)
  • Plants (require Phytosanitary Certificate)

In Scotland, the following rules apply to importing motor vehicles:

  • You are moving your primary residence to the United Kingdom (if you lived outside of the European Commission (EC), you must have been abroad for more than one year and your vehicle must have been owned and used abroad for at least six months)
  • Your vehicle was not purchased under a duty/tax free scheme, it is for personal use and will not be resold within one year of importation

You will need the following documents:

  • Declaration to HM customs, which must specify:
    • Year the vehicle was manufactured
    • Make, model name and serial number
    • Chassis number
    • Engine number
    • Cubic engine capacity
    • Number of cylinders
    • If the vehicle is petrol or diesel
    • If the vehicle is right or left hand drive
    • Description of the body
    • Price
    • Odometer reading
    • Extra or special features
    • Any defects that may bring the price down
  • Customs Form C104A (importing a vehicle in connection with moving your main residence to Scotland)
  • Customs Form C104F (importing a vehicle for a six to 12-month period)
  • Customs Form C384 (importing a vehicle when duty is applicable)
  • Community Transit Document (T2) obtained from customs office in the country of origin
  • Registration papers/title
  • Police Certificate or Registration
  • Insurance policy
  • Purchase invoice (original)
  • Log book

Quarantine is required for six months when you import dogs and cats into Scotland in a government facility. Keep in mind that kennel space is limited in these quarantine facilities, and it must be booked in advance, prior to importation.

When importing a petto Scotland, they will need to have the following documentation:

  • Health certificate and proof of inoculation
  • Customs Form C-5
  • Import License (not granted until other requirements have been met, and quarantine in a licensed facility has been arranged)

Used household goods and personal effects including tools of trade may be imported duty free if:

  • You are moving your principle home or returning to Scotland and:
    • You have owned and used the items for at least six months prior to importation
    • You can prove that duty and tax have been paid on these items prior to your arrival in the United Kingdom
    • You declare them on the C-3 form
    • If you are entering from outside the EC, you must have lived at least 12 months abroad prior to importation, and cannot sell, lend, hire out or otherwise dispose of the items unless you obtain customs authority first
  • You are living in another EC country and:
    • You either own a secondary home in the United Kingdom or rent one for at least 12 months
    • You have owned/used the items at least three months prior to importation and do not plan to sell them within 12 months of importation
    • You must prove that duty and tax have been paid on these items prior to your arrival in Scotland
    • You declare them on the C-33 form
  • If you are living outside of the EC and:
    • Your goods are not eligible for VAT free shipping
    • You must have lived outside of the EC for at least 12 months
    • You either own a secondary home or have rented one for at least two years (24 months)
    • You have owned and used the items for at least six months before they are imported
    • You cannot sell, lend hire out or otherwise dispose of the items in the United Kingdom within 12 months of importation, unless you obtain customs authority first
    • You can prove duty and tax have been paid on the items prior to arrival in Scotland
    • You declare them on the C-33
    • Special regulations apply to students, newlyweds, visitors, inheritances, those who plan to marry soon, goods originating from EC countries, personal antiques (not for resale), etc

NOTE – Customs regulations are subject to change at any time. The proceeding information is a brief summary of customs regulations applicable to household goods shipments to this destination and is being provided for general guidance to assist our Agents and customers. Since such regulations are subject to change without notice, International Sea & Air Shipping cannot be held liable for any costs, damage, delays, or other detrimental events resulting from non-compliance. Always double check with your local embassy or consulate.

Call our International Moving Specialists @ 1 (866) 788-1090

How to Move to Scotland

To start, one of our trained moving specialists will provide a one-on-one consultation with you, thoroughly outlining your moving options based on certain criteria, such as:

  • Your moving timeline. When do you need to be in Scotland?
  • Your real estate plans. Will you be renting or buying?
  • Your family/household size. Will you be moving alone or with your family? For business or personal reasons?
  • Cubic feet estimate. How large is your shipment?

How Much Does it Cost to Move to Scotland?

For the most accurate estimate of your total shipment size, you should scheduling a home survey as early as possible for your move to Scotland.
Don’t wait until the last possible moment, contact International Sea & Air Shipping today. You won’t regret the decision.

After we hear from you, our moving specialists will assess your belongings to give you the best estimate possible to expedite your relocation.
The cost of moving to Scotland will vary considerably based on the cubic footage of your belongings and your proposed destination arrival time so it’s extremely important that you work with an agent so they can give you the most accurate quote.

Ready to start budgeting for your international move?

Give us a call, and don’t forget to ask about our overseas packing and custom crating services, too!

About Scotland

Part of the United Kingdom, the country of Scotland makes up the northern third of the island of Great Britain. In addition to the mainland, Scotland is comprised of more than 790 islands and is regarded as the highest educated country in Europe.

A federal semi-presidential republic, the President is considered the head of the state and the Prime Minster the head of the government.

Although Scotland’s capitol is Edinburgh, the largest city in the country is Glasgow – Edinburgh lands in second – with the urban center of Greater Glasgow making up a quarter (almost 1.2 million) of Scotland’s population. All major Scottish cities are located in the Central belt with the exception of Aberdeen (the third largest city and Europe’s oil capital).

Scotland is perhaps most well-known for the body of water known as Loch Ness, a 23 mile freshwater lake famous for alleged sightings of the creature dubbed the Loch Ness Monster.

English, Scots and Scottish Gaelic are the three official languages of Scotland, with almost all of the population speaking Scottish English.

Can’t wait to get started with your overseas relocation to Scotland? First, find out what you’ll need to clear Customs.

Moving to Scotland

Moving to Scotland is a major transition for anyone, and there will be plenty to consider and prepare for before you head across the globe.

The last thing you want to worry about is the logistics of a complicated move, especially when it comes to documentation, Customs regulations and shipping services.

Which is why you shouldn’t have to worry about it. Instead, let us tackle the tough stuff for you.

International Sea & Air Shipping will make your transition to Scotland as seamless as possible, by providing top-notch shipping services for all of your household goods and much more.

We’ll be there with you each and every step of your move abroad, from packing and crating your goods, to shipping them overseas and assisting you through the complicated overseas documentation process.

All you need to do is give us a call so we can get started with an on-site estimate. We’ll take care of everything else.