Moving To Spain

We Streamline the Moving Process

Customs Regulations for Spain


  • For Spain: Passport with last entry stamp (original or copy legalized by Spanish Consulate at origin)
  • Spanish Identification Card (D.N.I.)
  • Residence Visa
  • Residence/Work Permit (original)A bank guarantee is required if a Residence/Work Permit is not available. Shipment MAY be released with a deposit of a bank guarantee which must be canceled within one year.
  • Certificate of Origin/Certificate of Residence Change (“Asunto Cambio Residencia”), provided by the local city hall, stating customer has resided abroad for a minimum of 12 months (EC countries for six months)
  • Residence rental/purchase agreement (legalized) showing a minimum rent of two years
  • Letter from employer stating that employee will be working in Spain
  • Consular registration
  • Fiscal identification number (N.I.E.)
  • Non-Spanish citizens must obtain a consular or residence resign at origin stating that the customer has canceled his residence at origin due to moving to Spain
  • Customs application for duty-free import
  • Letter authorizing destination agent to clear shipment
  • Detailed inventory in Spanish, valued (two copies) signed and dated by the customer, legalized by Spanish Consulate at origin and valued
  • Must show contents of cartons, state goods have not been used for more than six months and list all major appliances with make, model and serial number
  • Purchase invoice for appliances may be necessary; customer should be advised to hand carry these
  • For the Canary Islands: Passport (original) with last entry stamp by the police or photocopy of same, legalized by a Notary Public
  • Certificate of Domicile obtained from the local Town Hall (original)
  • N.I.E. Number – identification number (original), could take two to three weeks to obtain
  • Flight tickets on entry (original)
  • Inventory (original) in Spanish with a valuation signed by the customer
  • Rental Contract or Escritura-Title Deed to property (original)
  • Application of Residence
  • All islands may vary in required documentation
  • Shipments NOT PROPERLY DOCUMENTED will be assessed import duties and taxes, at values determined by Spanish Customs and face lengthy delays and additional charges


  • Used household goods may be duty-free if:
    • Owned minimum six months (EC countries three months) prior to arrival in Spain and customer can prove ownership for this period
    • Will remain in customer’s possession for a minimum of one year
    • The contents correspond to customer’s status
    • Used household goods must be imported no later than 12 months after customer has obtained a Residence/Work Permit in Spain
    • Shipment must arrive no later than three months after customer; special permit necessary if shipment arrives later, resulting in ADDITIONAL CHARGES AND DELAYS

  • Drugs
  • Pornographic material
  • Cleaning fluids
  • Paints

  • Weapons and ammunition (need special permit from the Spanish Police, obtained by the owner from “Direccion General de la Guardia Civil”)
    • A complete description such as model, caliber, serial number, etc. are required
    • Spanish Police will retain it until final permission is granted
  • New items (less than six months old)
  • Tobacco products
  • Foodstuff, antiques, art objects and ammunition require special permits
  • Liquor
  • Duty-free import may be allowed for a limited time (six months); import duties and taxes will be payable upon application for permanent permit
  • Customer must have resided outside Spain for at least twelve months (six months for EC countries)
  • Vehicle must have been used by customer a minimum of six months
  • Modifications that alter original design are prohibited
  • Temporary permit can be obtained at Customs (valid for six months),
    • Customer must obtain Spanish Vehicle Registration within this time
  • Documents required:
    • Purchase Invoice or Certificate of Ownership
    • Registration or Title
    • Circulation Permit
    • Tax Receipt
    • Liability Insurance (Valid and running)
    • License plates from country of origin
    • Identification Card (“Documento Nacional de Identidad”)
    • Passport or Residence Card
    • Title issued under the owner’s name
    • Valid Insurance

All documents must be original copies

  • Health and Vaccination Certificate (CONSULARIZED at origin) from veterinarian required

NOTE – Customs regulations are subject to change at any time. The proceeding information is a brief summary of customs regulations applicable to household goods shipments to this destination and is being provided for general guidance to assist our Agents and customers. Since such regulations are subject to change without notice, International Sea & Air Shipping cannot be held liable for any costs, damage, delays, or other detrimental events resulting from non-compliance. Always double check with your local embassy or consulate.

Call our International Moving Specialists @ 1 (866) 788-1090

How International Sea & Air Shipping can help for moving to Spain

At International Sea & Air Shipping, our trained moving specialists are here to advise you with each and every aspect of your overseas move. We offer a variety of shipping services to meet your needs:

  • Your moving timeline. When do you need to be in Spain? Should you ship your goods via air or sea freight?
  • Your real estate plans. Will you be renting or buying a home?
  • Your fragile items. Do you require packing or custom crating services?
  • Your family/household size. Are you moving to Spain alone or with family?
    For business or personal reasons?
  • Your cubic feet estimate. How large is your shipment?

How Much Does a Move to Spain Cost?

The final cost of your overseas move to Spain will depend on a variety of factors. Get a free in-home estimate for your move by scheduling a home survey with International Sea & Air Shipping today. One of our trained moving specialists will visit your home to assess your belongings, determine the cubic footage of your shipment, and answer any questions you may have about your relocation. He or she will then provide you with a free quote for international goods shipping and the overseas moving services you require.

We will calculate your costs based on your shipment’s cubic footage, your shipment method (air vs. sea freight) your required services (packing and custom crating), and other factors.

About Spain

Located in southwestern Europe on the Iberian Peninsula, Spain has a renowned artistic, cultural and linguistic richness that attracts hundreds of tourists every year. There a number of colorful cultural events, majestic castles and historic attractions to explore in Spain, as well as exciting cities (like Barcelona and Madrid), beautiful mountain ranges (such as the Pyrenees, the Cordillera Cantábrica, the Sierra Morena, and the Sistema Penibético), and breathtaking beaches.

Spain shares its borders with Gibraltar, France, and Portugal and encompasses many other nearby territories-the Mediterranean Balearic Islands, Canary Islands, two North African autonomous cities (Ceuta and Melilla) and the town of Livia. Throughout history, many Spaniards have immigrated across the world to countries like Peru, Mexico, Brazil, and Argentina, resulting in Spanish being the second most widely spoken language in world.

Spain has a mixed capitalist economy, which is the 12th largest in the world, with per capita income roughly equivalent to Germany and France. Spain’s major trading partners are France, Germany, Portugal, Italy, the UK, China, and the Netherlands.

Moving to Spain from the U.S.

Are you planning an overseas move to the southwestern European country of Spain? International moving is a complex process -shipping your goods requires research, planning and preparation.

The most important part of the international relocation is hiring professional and trustworthy overseas shippers to transport your goods to your destination without loss, damage or mishap. If you are moving to Spain, International Sea & Air Shipping will aid you in every step of your overseas relocation.

No problem! International Sea & Air will help you plan your move to Singapore from start to finish!

Excellent Company

“I highly recommend International Sea & Air Shipping. My wife and I had a very good experience with them shipping household goods from Virginia to our retirement home in Spain. Everything arrived on time with nothing damaged and nothing missing. I especially appreciated their efficiency. While a competitor couldn’t promise a pick-up date, International Sea & Air arranged this in minutes over the phone at a lower price. Their contact company in Spain, WillMove Worldwide, was a pleasure to deal with giving us valuable advice about clearing customs, and living in Spain.”

– Gene & Ada