Moving To Japan

Japan is a fascinating country in East Asia located in the northwest Pacific Ocean. This island country is made of 14,125 islands and is a study in juxtaposition! On one hand Japan immediately brings to the mind the ancient, age-old traditions that are practiced till date and on the other hand the country is phenomenally advanced in science & technology.

When you are planning to move to Japan from the USA it is imperative that you need to have proper information about the cultural differences and will be able to accept the social norms. There are also proper documentation processes that you need to be aware of before making your move to Japan from the USA. In the next few paragraphs let us take you through the information mandatory for your international relocation.

Moving to Japan from USA

How International Sea & Air Shipping can help for moving to Japan

Moving even a small household domestically can be a big headache. And you are thinking of an international move, the challenges just got bigger. The cost of moving based on the distance, the kind of freight you need to choose for your household goods, the documents you need to prepare for moving to Japan from the USA and there are a lot other necessary steps related to your move that you need to take care of!

Honestly, it can be a lot to process. At International Sea & Air Shipping we understand this very well. Being an international relocation specialist, we have been assisting our clients globally for quite a long time and are aware of all the emotions, challenges and confusions related to the international relocation that they come across. However, our years of experience in handling A TO Z of international relocation gives you an advantage in the move when you appoint us.

At International Sea & Air Shipping our services include, guidance on applying for the proper documentation to move overseas, moving your household goods, moving your car, advising you on the right container and freight choices and more! There are also mandatory relocation aspects concerning the shipping cost, time and safety. At International Sea & Air Shipping we provide end to end specialized services for all types of moving to Japan from the USA.

Japan, the Land of Rising Sun!

Known as the “Land of the Rising Sun,” Japan is a country widely known for its rich, unique culture and advanced technology. An archipelago of 6,852 islands (including Honshu, Hokkaido, Kyushu and Shikoku), the country has the world’s 10th largest population and its capital Tokyo is the largest metropolitan area in the world.

One of the most interesting travel destinations in the world, travelers enjoy unique cuisine (like fresh, authentic sushi), and experience the preserved cultural heritage by exploring castles, museums, and temples. Beautiful forests, mountains and volcanoes cover about 70 percent of Japan, and high-tech, fast-paced cities like Tokyo visitors from all over the world. Japan is the third largest economy of the world by purchasing power parity and also by nominal GDP.

Japan is globally renowned for its rich history, unique culture, advanced technology, and stunning natural landscapes. In a few words, anything originated in Japan meets with lots of respect worldwide and offers a sense of high quality. An archipelago in the northwest Pacific Ocean, Japan is also endowed with spectacular natural beauty.

The country is famous for its traditional arts, such as tea ceremonies, martial arts like karate and judo, and the beautiful art of origami. The country offers a wide range of attractions, from ancient temples and shrines like the iconic Kinkaku-ji Golden Pavilion in Kyoto, to modern landmarks like Tokyo Tower and the Shibuya Crossing. Japan is also known for its delicious cuisine, including sushi, ramen, and tempura. Visitors can explore the bustling streets of Tokyo, visit the historical city.

The world’s fourth largest exporter and importer, major traders include Taiwan, Hong Kong, China, US, AustraliaSaudi Arabia, Singapore, South Korea, United Kingdom and Indonesia.

Customs Regulations for Japan

  • Passport for every member of the family (clear copy of all the pages which have Japanese entry stamps) and copy of page with photograph
  • Residence and Working Visa (valid for over one year)
  • Original and two copies of Declaration for Unaccompanied Baggage stating number of pieces in each shipment (Form C 5360-2 for non-Japanese and Form 5360 for Japanese).
    • Forms are obtained on the airplane traveling to Japan or at the airport in Japan upon arrival
    • Two originals are required
    • Document can be used to declare any other shipments arriving within six months
    • If this form is not presented at time of arrival, the customer must prepare a “Letter of Apology” to Customs office which will delay clearance–customer may have to pay import duty
  • Inventory (detailed in English or Japanese)
    • PBO: “packed by owner” and miscellaneous are not acceptable
    • Air shipments require a detailed list with carton numbers and items in each carton, along with the total number of pieces
  • Keys to locked trunks/suitcases
  • Delivery address and telephone number
  • Customer must be in Japan at time of customs clearance
  • Used household goods and personal effects are duty-free provided they have been in the owner’s possession for at least one year
  • Most shipments will be inspected
  • The shipment must arrive within six months of the customer
  • Rice, flower seeds/bulbs, flour, straw and straw items
  • Fresh fruit, meat products and vegetables (pineapples and green bananas excluded)
  • Wildlife products from protected and endangered species
  • Narcotics and drugs (including over the counter cold medicines containing pseudoephedrine)
  • Counterfeit or altered currency
  • Pornographic or politically sensitive material such as books, pictures or sculptures
  • Firearms and other lethal weapons–particularly swords, spears, blowpipes, daggers, bolos, bows and arrows if the blade is more than 15 centimeters in length (importation and/or possession will result in fines)

If any of the above items are included in your shipment, they will either be shipped back to your origin country or abandoned. Additional costs for either option will be charged to the customer.

  • The following items may be imported duty free in limited quantities:
    • Alcohol (three bottles/around 760cc)
    • Cigarettes (400 pieces per adult)
    • Cigars (100 pieces if there is no other tobacco)
    • Pipe tobacco (500 grams if here is no other tobacco)
    • If there are more than kinds of tobacco, it must not exceed 500 grams in total weight
    • Perfume (two ounces)
    • Cosmetics and non-prescription medications (24 pieces of any item)
    • Medication (two month’s supply is permitted with proof of prescription)
  • Rooted plants, furs, straw products, shells, meats and stuffed animals require a Quarantine Certificate
  • Electrical appliances require invoices
  • Vehicle may be imported duty-free for foreigners establishing residence
  • Vehicle must not be sold for two years after date of Import Permit
  • Vehicle must meet import requirements
  • Documents required:
    • Original Passport
    • Alien Registration Card
    • Form C 5360-2 or 5360
    • Original Registration
    • Engine and chassis Number
    • Purchase receipt
    • Proforma invoice
    • Drivers License (copy)
    • Car Manual
    • Documents stating vehicle has been in owner’s use and possession abroad
    • Affidavit stating that you will not sell your auto while in Japan
  • Foreign cars must be modified to meet Japanese emission and safety regulations– charges are very high and must be paid by the customer

If the above requirements are not met, import duty will be assessed at five percent of the depreciated assessed market value.

  • Health and Resident Certificate from Quarantine Office at origin endorsed by USDA/APHIS/VS required (certificate issued by private veterinarians not acceptable)
  • Original Rabies Certificate issued by the pet’s veterinarian (must be issued within past six months but more than one month before importation)
  • Quarantine of at least 15 days is required for dogs
  • Pets must be shipped aboard direct non-stop flights from origin city (where certificate was issued)

Pets not meeting these requirements will be returned to origin (at owner’s expense).

NOTE – Customs regulations are subject to change at any time. The proceeding information is a brief summary of customs regulations applicable to household goods shipments to this destination and is being provided for general guidance to assist our Agents and Customers. Since such regulations are subject to change without notice, International sea & air shipping cannot be held liable for any costs, damage, delays, or other detrimental events resulting from non-compliance. Always double check with your local embassy or consulate.

Call our International Moving Specialists @ 1 (866) 315-4170

Important information for moving to Japan from USA

If you want to move to Japan from the USA there are certain important things that you need to be aware of. Let us list them here –

Cultural knowledge

Moving to Japan from the USA can be an exciting adventure. Japan offers a unique blend of rich culture, advanced technology, and stunning natural beauty. However, it is important to consider the cultural differences and educate yourself and your family members accordingly if they are moving with you before making the move. Familiarize yourself with Japanese customs and etiquette. Japanese society places a strong emphasis on politeness and respect.What are you waiting for? Start planning your move to Japan today!

Japanese Language

It is well known that Japan promotes their vernacular in the country. Hence, language can be a significant barrier. So, it is advisable to learn some basic Japanese phrases to navigate daily life.

Moving to Japan from the USA comes with a number of advantages. To list a few –

  • Healthcare
  • Job opportunities
  • High quality of life
  • Education
  • Cleanliness
  • Safety

Japan is an advanced nation and offers high quality of life. Moving to this country will certainly be a dream international relocation.

Visa for long stays in Japan

For any international relocation the first thing you need to do is to familiarize yourself with the visa requirements. While, if you are moving to Japan from the USA for 90 days you will not need a visa. But depending on your purpose of stay, you may need a work or student visa.

Work Visa

This is one major option when you are planning to relocate to Japan from the USA. You can move to Japan to take-up an employment but for that you need to get a work visa first. In Japan there are three types of work visas:

  • The regular Japan Work Visa
  • Japan Highly Skilled Professional Visa
  • Japan Working Holiday Visa

However, please note that before you apply for a Work Visa in Japan, your Japanese employer needs to obtain a Certificate of Eligibility which will be available from the Immigration Services in Japan. Once you obtain this important document then only you can apply for a work visa at the Japanese diplomatic embassy in the USA.

Study Visa

You can apply for a student visa to move to Japan from the USA when you are enrolled in a Japanese educational institution. The student visa will enable you to stay in this country for a longer time than 90 days.

The process to obtain a student visa is to first apply for this document at the nearest Japanese Embassy or Consulate in the USA. But first the educational institution needs to send the Certificate of Eligibility to you and then only you can continue with the visa application.

Generally, student visas can have different duration’s that can go up to 2 years. However, three months prior to the visa expiration date you can apply to extend your stay. Please note that in Japan with a student visa you will not be able to work more than 18 hours a week.

Family Reunification Visa

If you are married to a Japanese national you can move to Japan from the USA on a family reunification visa. The process to obtain this visa is that your family member in Japan has to apply for an Eligibility Certificate first. Once this step is cleared then you can apply for a Spouse visa in the Japanese consulate in the USA.

Spouse visa is issued for 3 years of duration and one can work in the country if you are married to a permanent citizen of Japan.