If the thought of moving abroad has taken away your sleep, perhaps you aren’t the only one because of the many challenges that may come your way. Moving to Nepal from the US will require you to have a proper plan in place and hire an international moving company, that will make the whole process smoother and easier for you.
Nepal, Officially the Federal Democratic Republic of Nepal is a landlocked sovereign state located in South Asia. The mountainous north of Nepal has eight of the world’s ten tallest mountains, including the highest point on Earth, Mount Everest. The Kanchenjunga – the world’s tallest and third tallest – on the borders with China and India respectively.
The word “Nepal” is derived from the word “Nepa:” which refers to the Newar Kingdom, the present day Kathmandu Valley. Nepal receives foreign aid from India, Japan, the UK, the US, and the EU, China, Switzerland, and Scandinavian countries.
Nepal is the world’s 93rd largest country by land mass and the 41st most populous country. Nepal shares its land border with the two most populist countries China and India.
Nepal is the 115th largest economy in the world in terms of nominal GDP and is a member of international organizations like WCO, WFTU, WHO, WIPO, WMO, WTO and more. The Major trading partners are India, USA, Bangladesh, Germany and China.
Customs Regulations for Nepal
*NOTE: ENTRY REQUIREMENTS DEPEND ON THE COUNTRY OF ORIGIN.
NOTE – Customs regulations are subject to change at any time. The proceeding information is a brief summary of customs regulations applicable to household goods shipments to this destination and is being provided for general guidance to assist our Agents and Customers. Since such regulations are subject to change without notice, International sea & air shipping cannot be held liable for any costs, damage, delays, or other detrimental events resulting from non-compliance. Always double check with your local embassy or consulate.
Call our International Moving Specialists @ 1 (866) 315-4170
Hiring international moving companies for moving to Nepal
An overseas move will require you to complete a few important tasks, including visa application, packing, and unpacking your possessions, preparing your documents, and shipping your belongings, among a few others. If you hire international moving services, both your workload and stress will be largely reduced. Overall, an international moving company will provide all the needed assistance, which in turn will reduce your anxiety and stress.
- Your expected date of arrival to Nepal
- Your preference for air shipping over air shipping or even both.
- Your estimated number of days of stay in Nepal.
If you are planning to relocate your furniture from the USA to Nepal, you have two options: sea freight or air freight. If you want your furniture to reach your new destination quickly, it is recommended that you opt for air freight. However, keep in mind that this option will be more expensive compared to sea freight.
3 tips to make your overseas move to Nepal easier
- Pack your belongings securely by using crating or boxing options. Since your belongings will be handled often, you must pack them carefully.
- Make sure you prepare all the important documents much before time as this will make their processing easier. It’s recommended you research properly on Nepal customs properly as this will give you an idea regarding the items you can take with you to the new country and ensure a successful shipping process.
- Hire a trustworthy international moving company and establish a good relationship with them. Communicate all your requirements to the professional movers and ensure that they keep you informed if any changes occur during the moving process. This will help to ensure a smooth and stress-free move.
Important things you must know before moving to Nepal
Nepal is a landlocked country in Asia facing India. Tibet and China are its neighboring countries and have a population of around 29 million people. Nepalese is the official language, while Bhojpuri, Maithili, and Newar are a few other languages spoken in this country.
Buddhism and Hinduism are practiced in Nepal, and they co-exist there for a long time. Nepal shares its border with India; therefore, the country has been greatly influenced by the Indian culture. This country is popular among tourists, because of its natural beauty. The country doesn’t have a lot of job opportunities; however, the prospects of business opportunities are good.
Since Nepal is a landlocked country, surrounded by lands from all sides, overseas transportation takes place either by air or land. Here’s what you need to know:
- Tribhuvan International Airport is in Kathmandu, which is the capital of Nepal. This is the only airport where international flights are operational. There isn’t any domestic or regional airport in Nepal that can connect Tribhuvan to the rest of the country.
- If you need to move the household items to Nepal, shipping them directly by air can be more costly. Moreover, if you choose to move your household items by sea, the shipment will first arrive at the Calcutta Port in India, and from there it will be shipped to Nepal via land in trucks.
Apart from all these, here are a few things about Nepal that you shouldn’t ignore while making your decision to relocate there or not:
- Nepal is known for having a low crime rate, making it one of the safest countries in the world.
- The local food is both healthy and affordable, and the climate is generally mild with a few months of colder weather.
- The Nepalese are friendly people, so striking up a conversation with them could lead to making new friends.
- The healthcare services in Nepal are also reasonably priced.
What is the cost of moving to Nepal?
The cost of moving to Nepal from the USA is dependent on various factors such as the cubic footage of your belongings and your proposed arrival time at the destination. Nepal’s mountainous terrain and landlocked location may also increase the domestic travel time, which can affect your moving budget.
Visa requirements for moving to Nepal
Apart from the short-term visas, there are two other types of visas available for expats moving to Nepal, let’s learn about them:
- Non-tourist visa – This type of visa is offered to only those expats and families who are working as a journalist or any other type of employment that the Nepali Government has approved. Such a visa is usually issued for 1 year; however, it can be renewed if the condition is still applicable.
- Business visa – Such type of a visa can be issued for a period of up to 5 years and is offered to only those expats who are eligible to invest in a business in Nepal or who are doing export business. The family members of such expats are also eligible to get such visas.
If you have made up your mind about relocating to Nepal from the US, there are several things that you need to keep in mind to make your move successful. One of the most crucial aspects is selecting the right international moving company that can safely and efficiently transport your belongings to your new destination.
To start with, you need to shortlist a few reputable moving companies that specialize in international moves. You can either ask for recommendations from your friends and family or do some online research to find the best options. Once you have a few names, request moving quotes from them and compare the cost, services, and inclusions to make an informed decision.
After shortlisting the moving companies, it’s time to communicate your requirements to them. You can share your inventory list, discuss any special packing requirements, and ask any questions you may have about the moving process. A reliable moving company will be happy to address your concerns and provide you with all the necessary information.
Before finalizing moving companies, it’s essential to check their reliability and quality of service. You can do this by checking their reviews and ratings on reputable platforms or by asking for references from their past clients. Once you are sure about their credibility, you can share your tentative moving dates and check their availability on those days. It’s important to finalize the moving company well in advance to avoid any last-minute hassles.
One vital thing to keep in mind while selecting an international moving company is to avoid making a hasty decision. Some moving companies may promise you the moon but fail to deliver quality service. Therefore, research the company well, read their terms and conditions, and ensure they have the necessary licenses and permits before making your final decision. With the right planning and research, you can safely transport your belongings to Nepal and settle down in your new home without any stress or worries.